Pakistan vs New Zealand 2021, Series Postponed: The New Zealand cricket team abandoned its ongoing tour of Pakistan before the start of the first ODI today. Citing a security threat. PCB on the other end asserted that no such security threat existed and that the New Zealand Cricket Board took this decision unilaterally. The trouble began when the first ODI of the white ball series could not begin on time. Both the teams remained in their hotels waiting for the play when NZC announced that they have withdrawn from the series.
David White, New Zealand Cricket chief executive, issued a statement saying that it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving. “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” he stated in a press release.
Heath Mills, New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive, echoed White’s sentiments. “The players are in good hands; they’re safe and everyone’s acting in their best interests,” Mills said.
New Zealand Cricket Board said that it will not comment on the details of the security threat nor the updated arrangements for the departing team. The Pakistan Cricket Board, on its part said that the visitors had unilaterally decided to withdraw from the series. “Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured New Zealand Cricket of the same.
“The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” said Pakistan Cricket Board in a statement. The PCB said that the security officials with the New Zealand team were completely satisfied with security arrangements made by us throughout their stay here.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. “However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal. is in danger of being cancelled after the first match of the ODI series could not begin on time on Friday at the Pindi stadium,” it added.
There are multiple angles to explore. This could be regional pressure or something that may never come out on the media. The world has never seen such an incident before. The visiting team New Zealand had already sent their security experts who later accompanied the team as well. They have been completely satisfied with the arrangements made by the hosts, until the very last moment. What really happened? I guess we will never know.